Build a Bar Table

So I'm giving a try at this "how to build" thing using SketchUp. I really like it, and there's still a lot I need to learn, but after seeing what Ana White did, I knew I had to give it a shot. She is amazing and I've been getting a whole lot of inspiration from there. If you haven't seen it yet, check out her site ana-white.com.

Anyways, here we go. We needed a Bar Table for an empty space in our kitchen. I guess you would call it the "breakfast nook". We aren't the type to spend a lot of money on furniture (have you been shopping lately? It's ridiculous!) So after looking over the interwebs and gaining inspiration from Ana White, I came up with this. Follow along and hopefully by the end you'll have one of your own.



The wood you use is completely up to you. You'll need wood glue, screws, basic tools (saw, drill, ect). You'll also want the paint or stain of your choice. (One disclaimer I should talk about - when choosing your wood, pay close attention to the size. A lot of lumber will list 1x2 or 1x3, but in actuality it's more like 1 x 1.5 or .5 x 2.5. In this case you'll have to adjust the measurements to make this work for you.)

Parts List:

  • (6) 1" x 2" x 8'
  • (6) 1" x 3" x 8'
  • (3) 1" x 6" x 8'
  • (2) 2' x 4' x 1/2" Plywood

Cut List:




Instructions:

Step 1:

Cut 4 1x3's 42" long and 4 1x2's 42" long. These will make up the legs. Join the 1x2's to the 1x3's using pocket holes or by nailing from the outside.


Step 2:

Cut 4 1x2's. 2 - 20" long and 2 - 22" long.

Step 3:



Cut 4 1x3's 18" long. Pay close attention to the over hangs. These will match the width of the shelves and frame the side panels.

Step 4:

Cut the two shelves from the 1/2" boards. 

Step 5:

Cut the side panels out of the 1/2" boards. You can use as many or few as you want. 

Step 6:

Cut 2 1x2's and 2 1x3's to frame the table top.

Step 7:


Cut the 1x2's and 1x3's to add supports to the table top frame. Use pocket holes and screws to attach.

Step 8:


Start the table top by cutting 2 1x2's and attaching to each end.

Step 9:


Finish the table by cutting the remaining boards from 1x6's.

Step 10:


Attach the top to the base using angle brackets. I found this way to be the easiest for removal of the top when moving through tight spaces.


And there you have it! A table. Now stain it or paint to the color of your choosing and enjoy. I hoped you enjoyed this first installment. Please provide any feedback or improvements I need to make before my next one. If you actually decide to make this andf you find something confusing or have a question, don't hesitate to ask. Also, if you find an easier way to assemble this, let me know that as well. Take care, and happy building!









1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great looking project - That SketchUp makes for some glitzy plans - impressive! Thanks for the link to Ana White... Good stuff :D

    ReplyDelete

Follow My Inspiration On Pinterest

JonnyChapps Stats