Small Chalk Board Build


Well hello there. I would like to share with you the latest project I just got finished with. I was standing in my shop looking around thinking about something to make. Something small - and I didn't want to pay for anything in building it (I'll break that later).

I always thought to myself how it would be nice to have some sort of message board on the refrigerator that we could write shopping lists, grocery items needed, and quick notes on. A Chalk Board! Let's do it.






First thing I did was gather up some wood I had laying around. I had a 2'x4' 1/8" plywood board and a 2x4 piece of lumber that was about 4 feet long.


I used the table saw to strip the 2x4 into 4 smaller pieces about 1" wide.


I cut grooves on the inside of each board that were 1/2" wide and 1/8" deep to cradle the chalk board.



I then measured and cut 45 degree angles on all strips *Remember to take into account those groves when measuring for your cuts. To fit the frame together I wood glued and then used brads to secure it. I then clamped and let dry.



While the glue was drying, I used a scrap piece from the wood I had been using to make the chalk shelf.


I used the router to cut grooves for the chalk. The whole shelf measures 9" long.


After the glue dried I stained the entire piece.



Here is the back fitted in.



I was just going to paint directly on top of the plywood, but I wanted to be able to use magnets if needed and to also have a smooth surface to write on. So I purchased a sheet of metal from the hardware store for a little over $9.00. It was perfect too because the size is 2'x4' - perfect fit for the frame.


I mounted the sheet metal to the backboard using adhesive calk specially made for metal and glue. I then primed the surface using some car body paint I had laying around and then used Chalk Board Spray Paint that I also purchased from the hardware store for about $7.00.


I mounted the chalk board to the frame using 1/2" brads. I went through at an angle to keep any tips from sticking out of the front.


Well, here it is mounted on the refrigerator and ready for use. Not bad for a couple hours and some scrap material.

2DD2D4XD7NGX

1 comment:

  1. I think I will become a great follower.Just want to say your article is striking. The clarity in your post is simply striking and i can take for granted you are an expert on this subject.
    oklahoma cirt restoration

    ReplyDelete

Follow My Inspiration On Pinterest

JonnyChapps Stats