Vintage Filing Cabinet

Hey there. Well, I promised myself that I wouldn't be building anything new (at least furniture) until we moved. I broke that promise to myself...

We needed (well, wanted) a DVD and game case cabinet or shelf. I had seen pictures while looking for ideas of those vintage wooded filing cabinets, the kinds used in old schools and offices. If I were to make one that could hold DVDs, well that would be sweet. Using scrap wood from the shop, this is what I put together.


Sorry, but I didn't do a step by step sorta thing like I usually do. But I did snap some pictures towards the finish.







I build the shelves to comfortably hold DVD cases and then built the frame around those. Again, using scraps and spare wood that was laying around from past builds.




I did purchase the hardware online, to save on cost I purchased them brand new and not antiques that would look better but cost a lot more. To give it the bronzed patina I soaked them overnight in a solution of vinegar and steel wool pad. That mixture was also used to age the wood. It is an amazing mix, I'll have to do a tutorial on that sometime in the future.

I then sanded and stained using Minwax Red Mahogany. I applied 3 coats to really darken in and brink out the wood textures. After that dried, I used spray lacquer to give it a glossy shine. I sanded between coats to really add to the shine.







And there you have it. Now, that will be the last piece made until we move this summer. I promise....maybe.

0 comments:

Follow My Inspiration On Pinterest

JonnyChapps Stats